A Victorian or Edwardian brass box, push-fit lid, Francis Barker & Son pocket compass, dating from c.1875-1910. It has a blued needle, a brass pivot, and a paper compass card. The compass is clearly signed on the card with the distinctive 'Trade Mark London' Barker logo. The reversed letter 'S' that forms part of the logo dates the compass to sometime after 1875, as this style of logo was adopted after Francis Barker's death in 1875. This is a classic Barker design which was first used in the 1860s, and continued to be produced until the early 1930s. Further details of this type of Francis Barker compass design can be found in: Trade Mark London by Paul Crespel (p.293), and at the trademarklondon.com website.
The compass is in good condition, working order, and finds North very well. The case and lid are in good condition, with some marks and signs of wear. Much of the original lacquered finish is still present, although quite worn on the top of the lid. The lid fits very well. The glass is in very good condition. The paper compass card and blued needle are in very good condition.
Dimensions: 40mm diameter (48mm inc. loop)
Francis Barker & Son: were established in London in 1848, as a maker of compasses and scientific instruments. Francis Barker produced a very wide range of compass designs over the years, supplying major retailers such as Negretti & Zambra, J. Lizars, C. W. Dixey, Dollond, and many others. The company prospered until 1932, when it was taken over and became F. Barker & Son (1932). After WW2 the company changed hands several times and the name is now carried by Pyser-SGI. They continue to produce the renowned Barker M-73, widely acknowledged to be the world's finest prismatic compass.